New units for fuel oil reduction, Muskiz, Biscay, Spain. New coker unit and coker storage (not in [+]
HiveWind - Semi-submersible floating steel platform for offshore wind turbines
- Client: SENER Renewable Investments and Nervión Naval-Offshore
- Country: Spain
- Start date: 2022
HiveWind is a semi-submersible floating steel platform for marine wind turbines with an output in excess of 15 megawatts (MW), developed and marketed by SENER Renewable Investments and Nervión Naval-Offshore.
HiveWind is made up of six low-height columns arranged in a polygon shape, which facilitates construction and reduces the logistics requirements of the supply chain. Rectangular struts are arranged in a horizontal plane, avoiding complex connection structures and limiting element reinforcements. These are linked perpendicularly on the flat sides of the columns, avoiding complex shapes in the connections. One of the columns is located in the center of one of its sides, and connects to the wind turbine tower through a transition piece.
The platform is equipped in accordance with the environmental and metoceanic requirements of each site using damping plates located at the base of the buoyancy elements (columns) and the connection struts. The structure, in accordance with the described architecture, provides the platform with suitable stability, high buoyancy inertia, reduced dimensions and high structural efficiency.
- CHARACTERISTICS AND BENEFITS OF HIVEWIND
- The simplicity of the shapes that make up the platform and the connection between the elements entails easy construction and assembly, reducing the time and cost during manufacturing.
- The platform's modularity allows a high degree of standardization and a high capacity for parametric adaptation of the design to the specific conditions of each site, without affecting the production resources or logistical or supply requirements. All these factors facilitate automation of the manufacturing process with a significant impact on CAPEX.
- It requires low steel weight thanks to simple connections between elements and a reduced draft.
- The arrangement of the semi-submersible platform with respect to the wind turbine tower, located in the central column of one of the three sides, facilitates assembly of the wind turbine elements on the platform and provides a structural advantage by distributing the wind turbine's efforts directly across a large number of floating elements, five of the six, increasing structural efficiency.
- The shallow draft allows the installation of wind turbines in a port without significant draft requirements, thus increasing the number of compatible ports for wind turbine assembly.
- The low height of the main elements (columns and, as a result, structure) reduces the need for construction resources and allows the use of conventional paint booths. The connecting arms are arranged at a reduced height compared to the base of the platform, facilitating assembly of the platform with the columns and the damping plates. In addition, the load-out can be carried out according to the usual processes with less risk due to the low weight and height of the concept.
- Two versions of the HiveWind concept are proposed, with passive ballast or active ballast, depending on site requirements and the needs of our customers.
- The modularity of the concept allows the design to be easily adaptable to the metoceanic conditions of each site.
- Ease in the local supply chain: the foundation configuration is adapted to existing construction methods in shipyards and to supply chains with a lower degree of specialization. This allows logistics to be optimized and local content requirements to be assumed for the deployment of floating offshore wind power.
- MAIN CHARACTERISTICS FOR 15MW TURBINE (IN MEDITERRANEAN SEA CONDITIONS):
- Steel platform weight: 2,500-2,800 t (NREL turbine)
- Water ballast: 4,900 t
- Total displacement with NREL 15MW: 10,000 t
- Port draft (with turbine): 8 m
- Operation draft: 8 m
- Length: 84.09 m
- Beam: 92.3 m
- Column diameter: 14.4 m
- Column height: 12 m
- Freeboard: 4 m
- Periods (heave/pitch/roll): 12.5/22/22 sec
- Number of moorings: 3 lines connected to vertices
Other programsSee all
Isomerisation unit U-618 for the Repsol refinery T-46, Tarragona, Spain. Revamping of the isopentane unit for [+]
Mild hydrocracker for the Repsol refinery, Puertollano, Ciudad Real, Spain. The new “Mild Hydrocracker” units designed [+]
Polycarbonates plant, LEXAN II, Murcia, Spain. The plant built by General Electric Plastics puts this company [+]